Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Amazing Learning Machine

Yeah, that's my daughter's brain. I know children's brains are like sponges, but it still doesn't make it any less flabbergasting how Ruby remembers so much of what she learns.

We have a couple of books from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology that have recordings of bird songs of a couple hundred species of birds in the US. Jonathon got them for Christmas because he's a bird enthusiast, but we've all been enjoying them on and off. Sometimes at mealtimes, we play bird songs and try to guess them. So granted, she's surrounded by bird nerds. But (getting on my brag box) Ruby can correctly guess probably about 40 different species by their song. And as far as identifying by sight, she can identify a whole lot more. (I'll venture a guess of about 90 species)

While I'm combing my brain, saying "um...", she's already repeated the answer a couple times. I'm sure the fact that I'm so impressed just eggs her on. But really, how crazy is it that my three year old can solidly identify the songs of a kildeer, a sora, a yellow-breasted chat, and a common yellowthroat in 10 seconds flat?

2 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

Really like your blog, thank you for sharing!
wedding dress sale

1:34 AM  
Blogger mightycleanducts said...

I was excited to uncover this web site. I want to to thank you for your time for this fantastic read!!

- Furnace Cleaning Edmonton | Duct Cleaning Edmonton | Duct Cleaning

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home