Monday, March 12, 2007

Craziness

I'm rarely overwhelmed, but this last week has been one of the most intense weeks of my life. Thanks everyone for the congrats. I've never worked harder for anything, and really, it was only because I thought *my* life depended on it. Labor was the worst pain I've ever experienced, and I hollered through almost all 12 hours of it. Poor Jonner and Judy were with me the whole time while I was off in labor land, and they were terrific. My doula was also amazing, and the team of nurses and midwives at the hospital were impressively supportive. There were a few bumps for me-- I got dehydrated near the end and needed an IV after two catheters, and in the end, the baby's head got kind of stuck, so I needed a small episiotomy and some pitocin afterwards to stop the bleeding from where the placenta came off. If anyone is getting woozy, don't worry. I was too.

So Ruby was 8lb 6oz, with one of the biggest heads ever (not really, it just felt that way to my vagina). She had zero problems, with an impressive Apgar score of 9, and no jaundice or other problems. She was a bit of chomper (and still is) with the breastfeeding, but we're working on it.
Lately I feel like one giant boob. The days run together because my schedule is nurse, eat, sleep, pee--over and over and over again. I think Jonner has a little bit of boob envy since that's all Ruby wants lately, but he wouldn't really if he tried. Breastfeeding is often described as the most natural thing ever, but it really doesn't feel that natural to me. It's exactly what it seems--you stick a powerful sucking machine at your nipple. And it's every bit as uncomfortable as you might imagine.

The animals have been great with her. The cats just sniff her every once in a while and then run off when she screams. Bailey on the other hand, has been pretty good, but I think she's feeling a little sensitive. She's been a bit more needy for attention, and sometimes it's hard to get her to stop licking Ruby's head without being forceful. (We're trying to associate good things with the baby, so we're extra gentle with her when she's around the baby)

So there's a brief update. And it *is* brief. If anyone wants to pump me for more gory details, feel free. There's not much else on my mind.

5 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Bailey is really moving down the totem pole the last couple years.

7:08 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

you will notice josh trying to avoid the topic by talking about your dog.

my question is: will you ever have another baby again??

7:34 PM  
Blogger misskarenjean said...

I want to thank you for NOT falling into the Mommy trap of aggrandizing every thing that has to do with little Ruby, but instead offering a realistic account of things like Breast Feeding!

Give my love to Bailey Dog in this time of new babies. Tell her that next time I'm in Minneapolis I've got a game of Chase with her name on it!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Well, I do remember swearing to myself that I was never doing this again. I still kind of feel that way, but I don't know, maybe I'll scream through one more eventually.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Kristin Abhalter said...

Good to know you might consider more babies for the future.
If anyone I know should be procreating, it's you.
You make good babies.
Can't wait to see you again.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home