Monday, May 21, 2007

Still managing to stay cool/warm/cool

Despite the crazy weather (from 90 to 40 then back up again within 4 days), we are all healthy.

We joined a CSA (community supported agriculture) recently, and we get a box of whatever veggies are in season once every two weeks. It's been pretty great. We weren't able to use all the black radishes or the sorrel, but we were able to use the asparagus, chives, spinach, ramps, sunchokes, herbs, and salad mix. It helps you figure out how to make different things and also try new veggies. For instance, ramps (a kind of wild onion) are now one of my favorite veggies-- I think they taste better than chives, green onions, or regular onions. Mmmm.



OK, the non baby related subjects are exhausted. Heh. Ruby is getting smarter and heavier, as would be expected--but it's weirdly exciting for me to watch. I feel like those overly excitable kids at the zoo: Look mom looklooklook! That bear just BLINKED! My favorite moments are when she smiles and babbles at me after nursing. It's so beautiful and exciting--it just turns me into a great big mushy puddle of love. But then the not so mushy thoughts enter my head: is this the last time she'll be really grateful for things that I do for her? When she's not even fully cognizant? Is that the only time people are truly thankful for their mothers--when they're babies? Will she take me for granted from now on, and when she gets me chocolates for future mother's days, will it be from obligation and not out of appreciation? Will I be spending the next 20 years dedicated to raising a decent human being, and only get some crappy mugs and flowers in return? Maybe. But if I can get one of those big, bright, out-of-this-world smiles every once in a while, I think I can handle it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

By the way, there are new photos up on flickr--there's one of you, dave!

5:36 AM  
Blogger misskarenjean said...

Other than the requisite superficial hatred of you during her teenage years (she'll roll her eyes and glower and say she hates you, but it's just the hormones - she won't really mean it), Ruby will grow up knowing that she was lucky enough to be born to a really great mom. And you'll get a nice collection of #1 Mom mugs.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Yeah #1 Mom mugs! I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I would be thrilled to have one of those. Nothing like a little ego boost.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home