Thursday, April 12, 2007

Plugged duct, plugged sewer, hell

The last week I've been battling a horrible clogged milk duct. Basically, the milk backs up and my boob becomes a hard, painful, lumpy mass. Then there's nothing to do but hotpack it, breastfeed/pump like mad, and massage the lumps through gritted teeth. And it seems to do nothing except make it more painful. Then last night, after a full depressing day of doing nothing but work on the problem, suddenly it came unclogged and a teeny stream of milk came shooting out and it kept going for almost 10 minutes. I can't guarantee that it's completely gone, but I feel worlds better. I can't even say.

On top of the clogged duct, it turns out our main sewer line is in terrible shape. A plumber came out and worked on it for 8+ hours. Since we pay him hourly, we've basically paid out a fortune already, and the job isn't even completely done.

Besides the glorious unplugging of my milk duct, the only other light-hearted moment I had yesterday was snickering with Jonner over how our plumber couldn't shut up. He's a good guy, but boy was he a motor mouth. He's the kind of guy that would keep talking to you even if you were slowly backing away from him. "You know, the last time I saw a sewer this bad was, well, this is the worst sewer I've ever seen. And I've been doing this for 8 years. Usually a job takes me 45 minutes to an hour. A bad one will take 3 to 4 hours. This one's already taken me a lot longer, and I've only got a 2 inch blade through. And we're talking about a hole 6 inches in diameter. I first started with my one inch blade, and that's only for emergencies. This sort of thing happens a lot in houses that are up on a hill, like yours. Hey how old is your dog? I could tell she was older because she's got some gray around her face. My buddy has a dog, but you can't tell how old he is because he's all white." And on and on and on.

Oh, and there are new photos up on the flickr site (the convenient link on the side was created by Jonner a while ago if you didn't notice).

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Ooh, boy. I felt like I had a back seat, mini-emotional rollercoaster ride looking at the photos. The many faces of Ruby! Adorable, yes, and then terrifying.

Keep up the good work, Joanne. I hope you can get some sleep. Does Jon at least get some weekend night duty? I imagine he has nothing Ruby wants at this point, clogged or otherwise.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home