Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Yay!

So Jonner went out and got me this book that his sister recommended, called the No Cry Sleep Solution. Well, there was this one little part in the book that talked about picking up on my baby's sleepy cues (rubbing eyes, eyes glazing over, yawning) and then hurrying up and getting her to bed. Because babies have a really short sleepy window, you have to get them then; otherwise, they get their second wind which makes them insanely wakeful and cranky to boot. Of all the advice in the book, that was what made the biggest difference. I've been keeping a sleep log since THE DAY THE BOOK CAME, and she's been sleeping so much better. Her naps during the day are often 2 to 3 hours long as opposed to the measly 45 minutes or half hour they used to be. Every night for the last week, she's slept at least 4 to 5 hours in a row, and with nursing in bed, I get a pretty decent night's sleep. Interrupted, but decent. The first two days, I couldn't believe it. For naps, when the second hour hit, I'd run up to her in a panic, thinking she had suffocated or something. But no, SHE WAS SLEEPING! I felt (and still feel) like a rock star.

3 Comments:

Blogger trcdkk said...

Hooray for you! After spending time on a 4 hour flight watching a mother desperately try to stop her baby from crying and get her to sleep, I applaud you on your efforts. And congratulate you on extra sleep and time for self care :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger sjk said...

I'm so happy to hear that!!! :)

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a difference! I'm so happy for you. Hopefully things keep going that well with the sleeping! John and I read Babywise when we were waiting for Ezra to arrive, and we found that book to also be very helpful. I need to read it again in preparation for the second!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home