Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Poked in the eye

So yesterday I was sewing on my machine, and I was pressing on despite unhappy noises it was making. On a particularly tricky part with a lot of fabric, I heard a snap and felt a sharp object bounce forcefully off my left eye. The needle had broken in two parts and the middle part and flown directly into my eye. I thought the pointy part had pierced it, and when I saw that my eye was bleeding slightly, I decided I should call a nurse. Well, of course she told me I should go to the ER, and I inadvertently wailed "NO" into the phone. She insisted that it was very important and so I proceeded to embark upon a colossal waste of an evening. It took me two and a half hours to have a doctor tell me I had a small scratch on my cornea and to give me an overdue tetanus shot. I watched two episodes of Friends and one and a half episodes of Family Guy.

I guess the moral is: wear goggles when you sew, and don't go to the ER unless you think you're going to die and you're willing to expire in the lobby while the check-in nurse eats chips and watches.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't know. A bleeding eye? I think I would have been worried. Hope the doctor didn't give you that "You're an idiot for coming in here" look. I hate that.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

No, they all said it was a good thing I came in. But it didn't really make me feel better about all the waiting. At least they didn't give me an eye patch.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

An eye patch would have been wicked cool.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hell no. I have no secret wish to be a pirate. I like puffy shirts, but eye patches? No. By the way, there's some soap opera on during the day that has a character named Fancy (?!) and she wears this eye patch studded with rhinestones along the edge. It's pretty much the most ridiculous thing I've seen on TV, and I see a lot of TV-- most of which is ridiculous.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The checkin nurse was eating watches?

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home