Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Books

So I have some time now to relax. I dropped everything I was doing except for baking at the cafe, and even though a lot of my time is still spent writhing on the couch or clutching the toilet, I am feeling better! The times I feel good are definitely lasting longer. So now I'm slowly thinking of ways to spend my time in fulfilling ways. Cleaning the house should be one of them, but currently, I'm looking for something more fun.

So I'm sending out a call for good novel recommendations. I've read all the fiction in my house at least once, and as much as I love to reread some of them, it's time for some new material.

4 Comments:

Blogger misskarenjean said...

Jojo,

I recommend THE KNOWN WORLD by Edward P. Jones, a fascinating fictional account of a black slaveholder living in Virginia. It's a wonderful read. Also, INVISIBLE MAN by Ralph Ellison. I hadn't read it before and I found it to be riviting. For something lighter, you could read the NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY series by Alexander McCall Smith; they are a delight and also a very easy read. Also, I really enjoyed WHITE TEETH by Zadie Smith and THE BLIND ASSASSIN by Margaret Atwood. And if you like short stories, pick up any of the NEW STORIES FROM THE SOUTH anthologies ed. Shannon Ravenal. That's where we pulled the "IF Heartbreaks Were Hams" piece from.

Enjoy!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks Karen! I meant to write you last week and I got interrupted and then, you know... anyway, thanks for the list. I'm going to buy some of them online this week.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Hi Joanne-

I LOOOOVE Salman Rushdie. I recently read Shalimar the Clown and the Moor's Last Sigh...they're really thick, too, so they would last awhile. :)

Kristin

8:36 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hey kristin, thanks. I have The Moor's Last Sigh and loved it, but I haven't read any of his other books. I'll have to try Shalimar the Clown.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home